Close Menu
National Security News
  • Ukraine War
  • Russia
  • Terrorism
  • China
  • Iran
  • Africa
  • Tech
    • Space
    • Nuclear
    • Cyber
  • Investigations

Trending

UK Prime Minister exchanged messages with person posing as Trump’s chief of staff

August 17, 2026

Royal Navy steps up patrols as Russian activity in UK waters rises 25 per cent

August 12, 2026

Ukraine steps up long-range drone attacks deep inside Russia

August 11, 2026

Netanyahu rejects Trump-backed Gaza plan in rare public split with Washington

August 10, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
National Security News
Subscribe
X (Twitter)
Login
IPSO Trusted Journalism in National Security
  • Ukraine War
  • Russia
  • Terrorism
  • China
  • Iran
  • Africa
  • Tech
    • Space
    • Nuclear
    • Cyber
  • Investigations
National Security News
  • Ukraine War
  • Russia
  • Terrorism
  • China
  • Iran
  • Africa
  • Tech
Home»National Security
National Security

UK Prime Minister exchanged messages with person posing as Trump’s chief of staff

Sean RaymentBy Sean RaymentAugust 17, 20264 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Listen to the article

0:00
0:00

Key Takeaways

🌐 Translate Article

Translating...

📖 Read Along

💬 AI Assistant

🤖
Hi! I'm here to help you understand this article. Ask me anything about the content!

British Prime Minister Andy Burnham exchanged messages with an individual posing as Donald Trump’s White House chief of staff in an apparent security breach.
Downing Street has declined to comment on the incident, which is understood to have involved only a handful of messages before suspicions were raised about the identity of the sender.
The person claimed to be Susie Wiles, one of President Trump’s closest political allies and the first woman to serve as White House chief of staff.
Politico, which first reported the incident, said officials confirmed that Burnham communicated with the individual “before becoming suspicious that the contact was illegitimate”.
Sources said only a “few messages” were exchanged and insisted that “no messages of significance” were sent.
The suspicious contact was “quickly reported to the appropriate authorities” once concerns were raised about whether the person was really Wiles.
It is understood that all of the communication took place through written messages and that there was no telephone or video conversation between Burnham and the impersonator.
A government spokesman said: “We do not comment on national security matters.”
The incident is likely to raise fresh concerns about attempts by hostile states, criminal groups and other actors to impersonate senior government officials in an effort to gain access to politicians and sensitive information.
It also follows reports that Wiles herself has previously been targeted by hackers and impersonators.
The BBC reported last year that the FBI was investigating after Wiles’ personal phone was compromised and an impersonator, or group of impersonators, used information obtained from her contacts to approach senior figures in the United States.
Those contacted reportedly included US senators, state governors and senior business executives.
The operation targeted Wiles’ personal phone rather than an official government device.
Wiles was also among senior American political figures targeted in 2024 by a cyber espionage group associated with Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.
The White House has been approached for comment on the latest incident.
British ministers have previously been targeted in sophisticated impersonation attempts, including hoax telephone and video calls involving people pretending to be senior Ukrainian politicians.
In 2024, the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office revealed that David Cameron, then foreign secretary, had fallen victim to a hoax involving someone pretending to be Petro Poroshenko, the former Ukrainian president.
Lord Cameron held a video call with the impersonator and subsequently exchanged a number of text messages with them.
The approach appeared credible because Cameron had dealt with Poroshenko on several occasions while serving as prime minister, including meeting him at international summits.
Officials became suspicious after the caller asked for contact details for other people.
The Foreign Office subsequently disclosed the incident because of concerns that footage or material from the exchange could be released and “manipulated”.
It said at the time that while the video call had clearly appeared to be with Mr Poroshenko, the foreign secretary became suspicious following the conversation.
Two other senior members of the Government were targeted in a similar operation in 2022, shortly after Russia launched its full-scale invasion of Ukraine.
Ben Wallace, then defence secretary, received a video call from an impostor claiming to be Denys Shmyhal, Ukraine’s prime minister at the time.
Wallace became suspicious during the call and terminated it.
He subsequently blamed Russia for what he described as “dirty tricks”.
Priti Patel, who was home secretary at the time, later confirmed that she had also received a hoax call from someone purporting to be the Ukrainian prime minister.
A Ministry of Defence source said the Wallace operation had been “fairly sophisticated”, with the call arriving through Microsoft Teams and apparently being routed through another government department, giving it additional credibility.
The latest incident demonstrates the continuing vulnerability of senior politicians to impersonation attempts even when official government computer systems themselves have not been compromised.
Such operations can potentially be used to obtain private contact details, establish relationships with senior officials or elicit information that could subsequently be exploited.
In Burnham’s case, however, government sources have stressed that the exchange was brief, contained nothing significant and was reported as soon as suspicions emerged about the identity of the person claiming to be Wiles.

Follow on Google News Follow on X (Twitter)
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Sean Rayment

Keep Reading

Royal Navy steps up patrols as Russian activity in UK waters rises 25 per cent

Netanyahu rejects Trump-backed Gaza plan in rare public split with Washington

MI6 rated Europe’s most effective intelligence agency

Iran strikes US base in Kuwait as tensions mount in the Strait of Hormuz

Zelensky presses Trump for 300 Patriot missiles as Ukraine steps up strikes on Russian oil refineries

Trump to meet Zelensky as Ukraine seeks more US air defence systems

Editor's Picks

Royal Navy steps up patrols as Russian activity in UK waters rises 25 per cent

August 12, 2026

Ukraine steps up long-range drone attacks deep inside Russia

August 11, 2026

Netanyahu rejects Trump-backed Gaza plan in rare public split with Washington

August 10, 2026

Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan sign mutual defence pact in Mecca

August 7, 2026

Trending

Netanyahu rejects Trump-backed Gaza plan in rare public split with Washington

Iran August 10, 2026

Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan sign mutual defence pact in Mecca

Iran August 7, 2026

OPINION: Tehran publishes its price list: Iran’s draft plan for the Strait of Hormuz turns a waterway into a toll booth

Iran August 7, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok Instagram LinkedIn
© 2026 National Security News. All Rights Reserved.
  • About us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Contact
Home Topics Podcast NSN Lists

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Lost password?